Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Night at Subway

So i got back from Subway last night.

I went to Queensbay yesterday, and a funny thing happened. Well, not exactly funny, but I felt funny after that. I was paying for my sandwich and just before I was able to get back to my seat, I bumped into someone. I wasn't paying attention when I was walking, so that was totally my fault. I began to apologise, when I realised that the person I bumped into was a 'she'. I got totally freaked out and began to blabber instead of apologising. The girl must have thought I was ridiculous because she started to laugh.

... Well, giggled. That's a thing for girls, right?

She did say I sounded funny trying to apologise. Maybe I did, because I really don't have a clue on how to react when bumping into a complete stranger. However, an even funnier thing happened right after that.

She invited me to have dinner with her right then and there. I was like, wtf? I bumped into her, and now she's the one inviting me to eat with her?

(the following conversation occurred in BM, of course, but I'd rather relive it in English)

Me: Are you sure its okay?

Her: Yeah, sure. I'm alone here. Plus, I don't have any boyfriends, if that's what you're worried about.

This girl sure is cool, I thought to myself. Even I wouldn't do this.

Me: Ummm.. okay, sure.

We sat down at the corner. I tried to keep calm, but boy, was that girl a chatterbox.

Her: So, what's your name?

Me: Syafiq. You?

Well, I decided not to mention her name her out of respect. Then, she told me something that I really did not expect.

Her: I just got out of a relationship.

Me: Whoa, whoa. No offense, but, we just met and I barely know you. Umm.. isn't this supposed to be kept to yourself, or at least, be told to your best friend or something?

Her: You look like the type that I can talk to.

That is soooooooooooo not true. What is this girl thinking anyway? I mean, telling a total stranger about your heartbreak? That is waaaaayyy too open. But, anyway, I decided to listen.

Her: I was in a relationship with this guy, A. At first, I thought he was sweet and all. He was, though, when I first got to know him. So, after a while, we became a couple. We were in a relationship for two years. However, lately, he acted weird. He started persuading me to sleep with him.

This is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy weird, I tell ya. But I kept quiet.

Her: I said 'no', of course. I wouldn't do that. But he kept pestering me. I just remained patient and said 'no' for the last half a year.

Me: Half a year? Really?

In my opinion, if a guy's been having a boner for just this one girl for 6 months, then, well..... that's kinda scary. I mean, this girl is pretty and all, but damn, that guy must have been obsessed with this girl the whole time.

Her: Yeah, really. Then, well, one day, I decided to call it quits. I became very afraid of this guy and I don't want him around me anymore. Its not that I don't believe in guys anymore, just, I don't believe in the word 'sweet'. I dunno, maybe its just me.

Me: Oh, okay... Can I ask you something?

Her: Yeah, sure.

Me: Why are you telling me all this? I mean, I'm a total stranger. What if I take advantage of what you said and do something on you instead?

Her: I know its weird, but you kinda look like him.

Me: Who?

Her: My ex.

Oh crap...

Me: oooh reaaalllyyy.. Ummm.. I don't quite know how to respond to that.

Her: You're quite the shy type, ain't cha? Always alone whenever you're in Queensbay.

Me: Okay, how do you know that?

Her: I've been stalking you. Following your every step. Lurking in your shadows.

Me: Uhhhhhhhhh... I'm scared

Her: Haha. Naaaahhh.. I work at Borders. You go there every weekend, but you never really bought anything. The first time I saw you, I was shocked because I thought you were my ex. But you're taller, so you can't be him. Don't you have a girlfriend? I mean, you're always alone and all.

Me: Hahaha. I'm single, and I'm not even sure I can get a girl. I mean, I'm not the sweet, gentleman type, you know.

Her: Then, why don't you be?

Me: Coz you said there aren't one.

Her: Hehe. You're quite the easy one, ain't cha? I said I don't believe in them. I didn't say there weren't any.

Me: Oh.. My bad. Hehe.

Her: Don't worry, big guy. You'll find the one for you. Maybe she's there, closer to you than you might think. Maybe she's out there and far away from you, and she's on her way here to you. You don't have to be sweet and cliche, just be yourself. For example, what are you interested in?

Me: Umm.. Eminem?

Her: REALLY?? I love that guy too!!

Me: That.. was unexpected.

Her: Haha. My point is, you'll meet her one day. Maybe she likes Eminem too. Or maybe not, but she'll respect your interests and support you on it.

Me: Thanks, really.. ( I'm totally out of words to say right now, actually)

Her: I dunno, but you'll make a good partner, even though you're not sweet. Hehe.

Oh nooooo, I don't think so.

Her: I wish I could hang out with you a little longer, get to know you. But I should be heading home.

Me: I guess, I should too. A bit tired.

Her: Oh, another thing. I'm sorry if I was rude or anything, you know, suddenly talking to you about my life although we're strangers.

Me: Naaahh.. its okay, really.

Then, suddenly, a single tear came out of her eye. I panicked, of course.

Me: Hey, what's wrong?

Her: Oh, sorry.. I didn't mean to cry in front of you, or anyone for that matter. Its just, a lot of things happened lately, and I was holding my tears and all..

Me: Hey, hey.. Lets get out of here okay?

This is really weird. This whole thing was really, really weird. I bumped into her, ate with her, listened to her life story, and now I'm walking her back to her car while she's crying. She didn't cry that hard, but her eyes were red. I gave her my handkerchief for her to wipe her tears. She started to return it to me when I said 'No, no. Keep it. Its yours'.

Her: Oh, because I have my snot all over it?

Me: No laa. Just take it. Maybe you'll cry again when you're driving. Plus, I thought you, a girl, will always have spare tissues and stuff.

Her: C'mon, look at me. I'm wearing skinny jeans and a t-shirt. I don't even carry a handbag.

Me: Oh, okay then. About the handkerchief, I mean it. Take it.

Her: But this is just so wrong..

Me: If you want to give it back to me, just wait till I return to Borders some other time.

Her: I dunno..

Me: Don't worry laa.

Her: You know, I think you don't show this side of you very often.

Me: What side?

Her: You told me just now you're not a gentleman, and you're not sweet.

Me: I'm not.

Her: Seeing you being nice like this must be once in a blue moon. Hehe.

Me: No, I'm not. Really.

Her: Haha. Thanks.

Me: For what?

Her: For everything.

Me: I'm confused.

Her: Don't be.

And then, just like that, we went separate ways. I don't know why, but what happened that night was important to me. How important?

I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nak komen?