Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A success

Well,Pharmnite 2010 is officially over and I can return to studying.one word i can describe about pharmnite?Fun.
i realised something.once we set our mind on something,no matter how hard it is,we will be able to do it.
before this,I've never,EVER rapped on stage in front of an audience.This was the first time i ever did this kinda stuff and i managed to do it.phew......
let me tell you what i went through just for this once-in-a-year performance.
The song that i chose to perform was Loose Yourself originally sang by Eminem.This is actually a very nice song if you understand the meaning of the words behind it.I'll leave it to you to do that
Now,I'll start off with my rehearsal progress on that day itself.there were two rehearsals.I seriously screwed up the first rehearsal because my mind was wandering off.I forgot the lyrics and had to stop my part of the rehearsal.It was so embarassing,so disappointing for me.Even the other committee members asked me for whats wrong.I straight away ran to the nearby toilet and shut myself in the cubicle for around 10 minutes.I shut my eyes tight and got frustated at myself for being so ridiculous.after that,i got out of the cubicle and went to the sink.I faced myself in the mirror and practiced my lines right then and there.seriously,at that moment,i looked like eminem in the actual music video itself.when i was practicing,i realised that there was no way i could pull this off alone.the song was too fast for me and i was losing my breath.my throat felt on fire and my stomach was practically bursting.I placed both of my palms on the mirror and looked down.
I need to come up with a strategy,and fast.
Then come the second round of rehearsal.i went up on stage when my name was announced.time for me to experiment with this new strategy of mine.Guess what,it actually works.
Now to get ready for the real thing.
we were given around 2 hours to prepare for the event.I went up to room 326 which was specially reserved for the male committees to sleep,take a bath and change our attire.the room was jam-packed with guys and it was so noisy.but fun as well.haha.we played poker,slept on the bed,watched tv,wrestled,and did some other childish stuffs
well,its nearly 6 and i was already prepared.i donned my outfit and went to the ballroom.the first people i saw were a couple of chinese girls from my class and damn,they looked so friggin unrecognisable!!of course,i know that they put on some make-up and changed their hairstyle,but then...
and then another one of my classmate walked past me.at first,i didnt recognise her.however,one of my friend alerted me of her presence.i was so damn shocked when i realised who she is.she looked like a model. shit....
anyway,i'll skip to the part where my performance started.
Before i went on stage,many of my friends sent me good luck messages to my phone and i appreciate them so so much
I wore my jacket and pulled the hood so that it'll cover my face.i went up on stage.the stage lights were darkened.i could hear the crowd cheering when i went up.i started to sing.from the corner of my eye,i could see the dean and dr azmi looking at me,not expecting me to perform on stage.but they were smiling,which is a good thing.
i started to rap.
then,came to the part where i began to feel breathless.i started to use that strategy again
"Ladies and gentleman,now i want you all to do a little something for me during the chorus.when i point this mic at you guys,i want you all to say 'GO!!' as loud as possible!ok,here we go!"
that really worked.the audience responded well and it did saved me some energy for the next chorus.
During the second chorus,i thought i would try out something
"guys,now i would like all of you to move your hands up and down and say 'Yeah!!' along with the song!!"
the audiences provided full support and i've never ever felt so confident in my life.
I just let loose myself on stage and performed like never before.
By the end of the performance,i felt tired,but happy and satisfied.the audience cheered and clapped and all of my friends congratulated me
unfortunately,i lost the competition.got the third place.i cant deny that i felt a bit disappointed,but i still felt that this was the night of my life.i felt so satisfied and happy that i convinced myself to try it out again next year.
in a nutshell,i did prove to myself that i can do many,many things that i thought was impossible for me before.its not the matter of winning or losing.its not the matter whether you are good at it.no,its the matter whether you are confident to do it,and have fun while doing it.no matter what,never give up too early.you would never know the results.sure i lost,but i did make an impact onto myself and onto the others.now,i feel more confident than ever.
you can do anything you set your mind to,man
and,with that,i thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nak komen?