Saturday, May 29, 2010

1 Malaysia(?)

Last time in Matrics, I asked my friend, Yeong Jin Yuan whether he knows about the Uitm intake. I still remember his answer though

"Why should I care? I mean,its not like us non-bumis have anything to do with it"

That got me thinking. I do remember about the proposal to include 10% non-bumis into Uitm. That led to a damn large demonstration by Uitm students. Their reasons? Well,if i remembered correctly,its something to do with educational and political rights,blah blah blah. For me, if your only reasons involve special rights, then they are darn cowardly reasons, in my opinion. Its not just about this issue, you see. Malays nowadays think that their society will collapse once non-bumis take charge in certain matters. Hell, this even went as low as deciding who's gonna be the next class rep. I mean, if that person, he or she, is capable to lead the class, then so be it. Islam also mentioned to us, the followers, to not wage a war against the fellow non-muslims if they do not wage a war against us or kick us out of our hometowns. Those two reasons are the ONLY reasons if we should ever want to ignite a battle against non-muslims. However, if they are nice to us, then we should be nice and fair to them as well. Case in point : the night where the USM pharmacy students gather at the school to vote the leaders for certain posts (sorry, I forgot the actual name of the event). I know some of us Malays chose ONLY the Malay candidates to hold the provided posts(is this sentence even correct?). Well, I didn't. For the posts that contained two candidates, a Malay and a Chinese, I considered the situation(I don't even know whether this sentence is correct grammatically.Political grammar just ain't my thing). Does this Malay candidate seem more capable in handling the job better than the Chinese candidate? Once I decided who is more worthy of the post, only then will I choose him/her. I did choose some non-malays to hold certain posts. Some of them didn't get it. Some of them did. Truth be told, I didn't regret my actions for one bit. I do know some people who straight away chose the Malay candidates to hold certain posts, just because they are Malays. I was like, "ek?" Our class rep for the next semester would be Tan Ze Chien, and I gotta say, the Chinese students in our class made the right choice. He is very nice, friendly and responsible. I've talked with him loads of times and in my opinion, if anyone would hold a certain post and lead the other students, one of my top choices would be him. I'm not saying that im favouring non-Malays over Malays. Its just, Im talking about being realistic here. Sure, some of you may say that there will be discrimination and Chinese leaders will favour their own race instead of Malays. Well, hell yeah, that's gonna happen all right. There will ALWAYS be discrimination, no matter how you look at it. You're shittin me if you say there ain't gonna be one. Even us Malays, MOST of us, will discriminate the other races to if we lead. Say what you will about my previous statement. Despise me if you must, but that's the reality here. I, however, am not one of those people who discriminate other races. Nope, and here's why.

I am great friends with the malays and non-malays. Well, why shouldn't I? The only things that differentiate me and my non-malay friends are our religion and race. You're a Chinese, and I'm a Malay. You're a Buddhist while I'm a Muslim. The problem here lies within ourselves. Most of us Malays do not treat other non-malays like one of their own friends. This also goes for the non-malays not treating the Malays like one of their own friends too. I'm not saying ALL of them, just MOST. In matrics, I'm very close to the non-malays. I mean, I didn't expect it myself. I came from a Malay boys-only school, so it would be reasonable enough if most of my friends in matrics were Malays. However, that didn't happen, and I'm very happy with the friends I have in matrics, be it Malays or non-malays. We should also realise that Malaysia will never rise without the collaboration between Malays and non-malays, so there. Hang out and get along with other races, then you'll know what I mean.

So enough about this issue. I think I've made my point clear already. I have tons of stuffs to talk about but my brain is becoming a jackass today. Some other time, totes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nak komen?